2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://breezybakes.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

Monday, February 17, 2014

Buttermilk Pancakes


 
It's a holiday! That means two glorious things: 1) Ben is home to help take care of my ever so active children and 2) I can actually make a fresh warm breakfast without the previously mentioned little rugrats clawing at my feet. So either I can celebrate our forefathers and the presidents of our wonderful nation or I can celebrate the afore mentioned benefits of a "holiday". How about let's just settle with celebrating both!

 
Braelyn used to LOVE helping me make pancakes. I would make an entire batch and we would eat a third, refrigerate a third and freeze a third. That's how much this girl likes her pancakes. The ones in the fridge were lucky to even last through the day, seeing as how she loves to snack on them plain as well.
 
After her celiac diagnosis she sadly asked if she could still eat pancakes. With those big brown eyes looking back at me, I just couldn't bear to say no. And so the hunt for a perfect gluten free buttermilk pancake began. I will say that in all honesty, these pancakes are even better than the regular old buttermilk pancakes that I have made before, in all their gluteny glory! Seriously, these pancakes are delicious. Fluffy. Light. Moist. Perfect.

 
So maybe I did still have two little rugrats clawing at my feet this holiday. But, it was all worth it to have two such happy helpers...if that's what you consider them. Maybe one day I'll actually let them do the honors of flipping the pancakes. Until then, that's mama's job!

 
Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour/starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoons salt
4 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
 
Directions:
1. In a small bowl mix together oat flour, rice flour, arrowroot flour, xanthan gum and baking powder.

2. In a larger mixing bowl, beat eggs. Whisk in sugar, salt, buttermilk and cooking oil.

3. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until incorporated.

4. Heat skillet over medium low heat (dial 4 out of 10). Spray skillet with cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup per pancake onto skillet. Let sit until outer edges loose their sheen and are slightly puffy. They should easily be lifted with spatula. This takes about 3 minutes of cooking.


5. Flip pancakes and let cook about 1 minute more. Continue making pancakes until batter is done, spraying with cooking spray between each batch. Serve immediately with your choice of toppings. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in freezer for 3 months.

Makes about 16 pancakes





No comments:

Post a Comment