2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://breezybakes.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sweet and Sour Country Style Spare Ribs

Comfort food. Who doesn't love comfort food? There is a reason this food is given a certain title. It just makes you feel good. To me comfort food is hearty, warm, saucy and...well...tasty. So yes, this Sweet and Sour Country Style Spare Ribs recipe is definitely in the category of comfort foods.

 
You know what? I actually left out a main defining factor of what categorizes a comfort food. Memories! Not just any memories, but the kind of memories that bring a smile to your face, a tear to your eye, a lump in your throat or a laugh in your belly. You get the picture, right? Sitting down and eating a comfort foods meal should transport you back in time feeling safe, warm and loved.

 
"Ribs huh?" That's probably what you're asking yourself right about now. "Ribs do it for you? What kind of gal sits down to a plate of shredded ribs and gets all cozy thinking about her family?" Yeah, that's right. This gal!
 
These ribs were a staple in my home when I was growing up. This entrĂ©e reminds me of our typical family dinner. It reminds me of sitting all together at the table, my dad slapping my elbow off the edge every few seconds and reminding me to chew with my mouth closed. I begged my mom to switch seats with me at the table for 15 years. She never agreed, although I do have good manners now. It also reminds me of the oh so daunting after dinner chores that my brother and I swapped every night, sweeping the floors and doing the dishes. We thought our parents were lazy making us do all the work. Ha! Being a mom now, boy was I wrong!
 
Though my memories may not be all mushy gushy, they're memories nonetheless and I wouldn't trade them for the world. And so here I am, making the same good food, sitting around my own kitchen table, telling my own daughter to chew with her mouth closed hoping that someday she will carry on the tradition.

 
These spare ribs are so tender and juicy and the sauce is just splendidly delicious. But isn't ketchup and sugar in anything great? Haha! Hey, this is where the moderation comes in. Just a spoonful of this sauce goes a long way, so start out small with your topping. The taste is perfectly sweet with a slight tang. You can opt to have this dish on top of rice, a baked potato or even in a sandwich. However you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.
 
Sweet and Sour Country Style Spare Ribs
 
Ingredients:
3 pounds boneless country style spare ribs (pork or beef)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoons salt
dash of pepper
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari sauce (gluten free soy sauce)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup chopped green onion for garnishing
 
Directions:
1. Fill a large pot halfway with water. Bring water to boiling. Place ribs in boiling water, cover and reduce to medium heat. Boil for one hour.


 
2. Meanwhile cook rice (time it so rice finishes cooking about 10 minutes after ribs are done cooking). 10 minutes before ribs are done, begin preparing sauce. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Add water and stir until ingredients dissolve. Add white vinegar, tamari sauce, vegetable oil and ketchup. Stir until combined.
 


 
3. Bring saucepan to a boil while stirring continuously. Continue stirring for an additional minute until thickened. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until ready to use.

 
4. Once ribs are cooked, remove from water and transfer to a cutting board. Let sit for 10 minutes and shred by hand, discarding any fatty pieces, into a bowl. Once completely shredded pour enough sauce over the ribs to lightly coat the meat. Stir so ribs are evenly coated.


 
5. Assemble dishes by scooping rice onto plate, topping with saucy shredded ribs, and spooning some additional sauce onto plate. You may also garnish with freshly chopped green onions and cashews.
 
Serves 6




No comments:

Post a Comment