2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://breezybakes.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Creamy Rosemary Chicken and Broccoli Bake

All TV shows, commercials and movies portray this idea that kids do not like broccoli. So how is it that my child, who is one of the pickiest eaters I know, loves broccoli? By the way, just because she is picky doesn't mean she gets away with it. I make her try everything! I figure one day she'll thank me.

On the broccoli note, Braelyn loves a good old chicken and broccoli casserole. Here's my beef with the traditional chicken and broccoli casserole recipes: mayonnaise and condensed soup mixed together. Hmmm...doesn't sound too fresh to me. Although, don't get me wrong, it tastes great. I just prefer my cooking to come more from me than a factory where preservatives are packed in to give it the longest shelf life possible. Sorry, soapbox there. So, I make adaptations where I can. Plus, by omitting the condensed soup, I have now made Braelyn's favorite meal gluten free. Viola!

 

I also decided to forego the mayonnaise and it yielded a "much better version" according to Ben. You get a thicker topping by adding mayonnaise which Ben doesn't quite prefer. Who wants a glob of cream in their mouth anyway? Without the mayonnaise, the topping is thick enough to stay on top of the chicken, but allows some of the sauce to drip down into the broccoli giving the naked layer of veggies more flavor. Yum-O!

 
Creamy Rosemary Chicken and Broccoli Bake
 
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (use my favorite cooking method  for chicken found here)
2 small heads of broccoli, roughly chopped (about 3 heaping cups)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped* or 3/4 teaspoon dried
1 cup milk (I used 2%. If using lighter, increase cornstarch to 2 1/2-3 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon, or one cube
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 oz. cream cheese (I used fat free because I accidentally bought it. Worked great though!)
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups cooked brown rice
 
Directions:
1. Begin cooking rice according to package directions. Tip: I always cook my rice in chicken or vegetable broth to give it more flavor. Begin cooking chicken. The flavor is amazing if you cook it the way I prepared it for this Healthified Chicken Alfredo. Otherwise use a shredded rotisserie chicken or boil the breasts for 12 minutes. (If you choose boiling, salt and pepper the chicken after shredding to add more taste.)

 
2. Prepare ingredients by mincing garlic and rosemary. *Rosemary leaves should equal 1 tablespoon before chopping. After chopping it should yield about 1 1/2 teaspoons. Wash and roughly chop mushrooms. Finely chop onion. Wash and roughly chop broccoli heads.

 
3. Melt butter in medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir frequently during all these additions.

 
4. In a bowl mix cold milk with cornstarch. Stir to dissolve. Add mixture to onion and mushroom mixture. Add rosemary, chicken bouillon, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until fully melted. Salt and pepper sauce to taste. Remove from heat.

 
5. Place broccoli in a microwave safe container with 4 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain. Lightly grease an 8 X 8 casserole dish. Distribute broccoli evenly in dish.

 
6. Shred chicken and layer evenly on top of broccoli.

 
7. Pour sauce to cover all chicken. Spread evenly. Bake in oven at 350 degrees uncovered for 25 minutes.

 
8. Remove from oven and layer with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Return to oven for additional 10 minutes. Remove casserole from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff rice before serving.



 
9. Serve each bowl with 1/2 cup of rice and broccoli casserole on top. I like to garnish mine with toasted chopped pecans. Oh, and this tastes almost better the next day! No complaining for leftovers.
 
Serves 6




2 comments:

  1. Made this tonight and it was a hit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! Braelyn loves this meal. It's definitely kid friendly. Yummy!

      Delete