2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://breezybakes.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Simply Guac

Avocados...just say the word and I'm there. I may be a bit obsessed with those little so called fruits. Okay, let's be honest, I'm highly obsessed with them! Apples, bananas and avocados are staples in our household. As in, my fridge could be full of food and if I am missing one of these three items I'm declaring, "Babe, I have to go to the store. We have nothing to eat!"

I'm talking about in sandwiches, on top of soup, added as a baked potato bar topping, dressed in a salad, you name it. It's like "Where's Waldo?" in my house except for it's "Where'd Brielle Put the Avocado?" Well there's one appetizer where you won't have to look far to find it and that's guacamole. That's one food where the avocado is the true star, and well deserved it is!

I whip up guacamole at least once a week because it is so easy. Sure you can make it more complex by adding jalapeno, cilantro, tomatoes, etc. But really you only need four main ingredients for a good guac: avocado, sour cream, your favorite salsa and some salt. That's it!



Simply Guac
 
Ingredients:
2 medium sized avocados
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sour cream (I use light, but any works)
2 tablespoons favorite salsa
1 teaspoon lime juice (okay, maybe five main ingredients!)
 
Optional ingredients:
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno (seeded)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 tomato, diced
 
Directions:
1. Wash and slice avocados in half. Scoop out seeds and remove skin. Place the 4 halves in a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add salt, sour cream, salsa and lime juice. Mash all together using a fork, pastry blender or dough blender until no large chunks of avocado remain.
3. Add additional salt to taste.
4. Add optional ingredients for additional flavor or spice.
 
Makes about 1 cup. Serves 6.
 
 
By the way, part of the reason I always have avocados on hand is because I buy them so cheap. I totally take advantage of Walmart price matching and rarely pay more than 25 cents per avocado. If you have any local Hispanic grocery stores around, they usually sell them on average of 20-25 cents per avocado. Can't beat that price!



No comments:

Post a Comment